Taste of Hong Kong Shrimp Rolls

One of the things I miss most living in Japan is good dimsum. Manila boasts of many Chinese restaurants with Cantonese chefs serving authentic Hong Kong style dimsum. My favorite is the affordable Michelin-starred Tim Ho Wan. Here in Japan, I have learned to make my own dimsum and these shrimp rolls satisfy my periodic craving. They're extremely easy to make and require only a little oil for pan frying (I use extra virgin olive oil). Yes, they are as good as they look.

1-2 pcs hanpen (Japanese style fish cakes)
200g fresh uncooked shrimps, peeled, devined and chopped finely
½ onion chopped, or 6 stalks spring onions, chopped
1 T katakuriko or corn starch
1 packet stock granules or ½ t Bragg's Liquid Aminos
pepper to taste
10 pcs (1 pack) spring roll sheets
oil for frying

Put the hanpen in a bowl and mash with your hands. Add in the shrimps, onion, katakuriko, stock granules, and pepper and mix well. Wrap about two tablespoons or less of filling in a spring roll sheet. Pan fry until golden brown.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds absolutely fab, Sherilyn!! Thanks!